Saturday, March 27, 2010

What caused her to smile?

The transformation that has occurred within Carolyne since she arrived to the Kimbilio Center is truly indescribable. The closest description that comes to mind is this: beauty has risen out of the ashes. When Carolyne arrived at the home, her tears and screams of anguish were the only way she could tell her story. For almost a day, we listened to her cry. She was in pain. She was afraid. Her malfunctioning immune system had left her vulnerable to countless diseases and stripped her of her dignity. Wounds covered her body, but they also covered her soul. The virus had already killed her children. Her husband had left her. What she needed was more than we could give; and yet, God was providing her a safe place to come and find rest. We offered her a clean bed, pain medication and lots of love and support.

Shortly after Carolyne arrived to the home, I was sitting at her bedside when she looked up at me; and, to my great surprise, she smiled. The beauty I saw within her face was such a drastic contrast to the despair I had heard, only a few days prior, within her crying. And I wondered: what caused her to smile?

A few moments later, she struggled to speak. Her mumbled words were these: “You have done good to me.” Tears filled my eyes as I saw the dream of the Living Room being realized. The loving-kindness of God was meeting us in our brokenness. Carolyne may be dying, but there is something within her that has come back to life. For this miracle, I am most grateful.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I want to cry reading this. But it is a mixture of joy and sadness that moves my heart. Thank you for letting the love of Jesus minister through you. My you continue to find true life bursting out of death in your midst.